- 50g/2oz margarine or butter
- 1tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 450g/1lb turkey mince
- 225g/8oz carrots, coarsely grated
- 2tsp tomato purée
- 1tsp plain flour
- 2tbsp water
- Pinch of dried thyme, optional
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 900g/2lb potatoes, peeled and cut into thick slices.
- Pre-heat oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas 5
- In a saucepan, heat 15g/½oz fat and the oil. Lightly brown onion and turkey.
- Add the carrots and tomato purée. Sprinkle in the flour and mix well. Add water, thyme and seasoning. Remove from heat and spoon mixture into a gratin dish.
- Layer potato slices on top slightly overlapping them. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with the remaining fat. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until potatoes are almost cooked. Remove foil and raise temperature to 230ºC/450ºF/Gas 8. Cook for a further 15 minutes until potatoes are golden brown and crisp on the surface.
- Serve hot with vegetables or salad.