FOR THE LENTIL BASE
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g green lentils
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 450ml vegetable stock
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp sugar
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 medium aubergine sliced length-ways
- 2 courgettes, cut into diagonal slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 450ml semi skimmed milk
- 75ml natural yogurt
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 3 tbsp grated vegetarian Parmesan
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion for 5 mins until golden . Add the garlic, lentils and remaining base ingredients and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 40 mins, adding extra stock if needed.
- Meanwhile, arrange the aubergine and courgette slices in the base of the grill pan, drizzle with the olive oil and grill for 6-8 mins until soft and browned.
- Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour, then gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to the boil, whisking, until thickened and smooth. Remove from the heat. Add the yogurt and nutmeg. Season.
- Put lentil mixture in shallow ovenproof dish. Arrange aubergine and courgette slices in alternate rows on the top, season, then pour the sauce over. Top with the Parmesan.
- Cook in the oven at 200c/400c/gas 6 for 30/35 mins. Serve with garlic bread.
- To freeze. Cool completely at the end of step 4. Wrap in plastic film, seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months.