- 175g dates, stoned and chopped
- 300ml water 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g unsalted butter 175g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten 175g self raising flour
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 300ml double cream
- 50g Demerara cane sugar
- 2tsp black treacle
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4
- Boil the dates in the water for about 5 minutes until soft, add the bicarbonate of soda.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy, add the eggs and beat well. Mix in the dates, flour and vanilla essence and pour into a greased 28cm x 18cm baking tin. Cook for about 30-40 minutes until just firm to the touch.
- For the sauce; Place all the ingredients into a saucepan over a low heat. Stir together until blended and then bring to the boil.
- Some of the sauce can be poured over the sponge and finished off under the grill or it can be kept separate and ladled over the sponge when served.