Make the custard:
- Place the creamed coconut in a pan, add the water and heat gently, stirring frequently, until the coconut has melted.
- Add the rose water and sugar to the coconut liquid. Stir well, then beat in the eggs. Strain into a heatproof bowl and steam for about 1½ hours or until the custard has set.
Meanwhile, Make the sticky rice
- Put rice in a bowl in the top of a steamer or a double boiler. Place the creamed coconut in a pan, add the water and heat gently until the coconut has melted, stirring frequently.
- Mix the salt and sugar into the coconut liquid, then pour over the rice. Steam for 30 minutes or until the rice has cooked.
- Place the cooked custard on top of the rice and decorate with lime slices. Serve hot or cold.
Variation: Set the oven to 140ºC/275ºF/Gas 1, place the custard in a bowl in a baking dish of water and bake for 1½ hours.