to serve 4
- 250g long grain rice
- 600ml water
- 1 chicken Oxo cube
- 30ml groundnut or vegetable oil
- 3 shallots or 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½tsp chilli powder
- 1tsp paprika
- 1 large carrot, grated coarsely
- 225g cooked ham, cut into small chunks
- 100g peeled prawns, defrosted if frozen
- 50g frozen peas, defrosted
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Put the rice in a sieve and rinse well under cold running water.
- Bring 600ml water to the boil in a saucepan, crumble the Oxo cube into it and stir.
- Add the rice, cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until the stock is absorbed and the rice is just tender. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, add shallots or onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
- Stir the spices into the onion, add the carrot and ham and cook for minutes.
- Add the cooled rice, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add prawns and peas and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, until heated through.
- Season if liked.