- 454g red cabbage
- 28g butter
- 1small onion, chopped
- 227g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1½tbsp water
- 1½tbsp wine vinegar
- 2tsp brown sugar
- Heat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas 2
- Discard the outer leaves of the cabbage, cut into quarters and remove the stalk, wash and shred finely.
- Melt the butter and fry the onions until softened. Add the apples and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Into a casserole dish, put first a layer of cabbage, then a layer of onion and apple mixture and season well with salt, pepper and plenty of nutmeg. Continue adding alternate layers until all the vegetables and fruit are used.
- Add the water, wine vinegar and brown sugar. Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 2 hours.