- 150g each raisins, softened prunes & softened dried dates, chopped finely
- 4 tbsp brandy, sherry, marsala or cranberry juice
- 3 eating apples, cored
- 100g glace cherries, halved & 50g broken walnuts (optional)
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 level tsp each ground nutmeg & cinnamon
- 1 level tsp ground ginger
- 2 heaped tsp gluten & wheat free baking powder
- 100g gram (chick pea) flour
- 100g rice flour
- 2 tbsp Soya, rice or coconut milk
- Heat the oven to 160ºC/300ºF/Gas 2.5
- Mix the raisins, prunes and dates in a large bowl. Pour over the liquor, cover and leave to soak for two hours.
- Process the apple finely and add to the dried fruit along with the cherries and walnuts if you are using them. Mix in the eggs. Sift the spices with the baking powder and the flours then mix them thoroughly into the fruits with the milk.
- Line a 200 cm cake tin with oiled greaseproof paper and spoon in the mixture. Flatten it out with a spatula. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool.