- 450g/1lb potatoes
- 15g/½oz margarine or butter
- A little milk
- 75g/3oz mixed nuts, finely ground
- 25g/1oz sunflower seeds, finely ground
- 2tbsp spring onions, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Wholemeal flour for coating
- Oil for frying
- Peel the potatoes, cut into pieces and boil until soft. Drain and mash with the butter and milk to make a creamy consistency.
- Add the nuts, seeds, onion and pepper to taste. If necessary, add a little more milk at this stage to give a soft texture which holds together.
- Form into 8 cakes. Coat with flour and fry quickly in as little oil as possible. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve hot.