- 175g butter softened
- 175g caster sugar
- Finely grated rind of 2 large lemons
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1tbsp orange juice
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1½tbsp black poppy seeds tossed with 1tsp flour
- FOR THE SYRUP
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 4tbsp caster sugar
- 2tbsp warm water
- Grease and line the base of a 20cm round, 5cm deep, cake tin. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the lemon rind, juices and eggs. Sift over the flour, add the poppy seeds and fold in until blended.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake for 55-60 minutes until set and starting to come away from the sides. Turn out, remove the lining paper and place on a wire rack over a sheet of greaseproof paper. Prick all over with a cocktail stick.
- Meanwhile, place all the syrup ingredients in a pan and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, boil for 1 minute until syrup forms and then pour over the hot cake. Leave to cool completely.