- 275g/10oz plain flour
- 10ml/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 10ml/2tsp baking powder
- 10ml/2tsp ground cinnamon
- Large pinch grated nutmeg
- 450g/1lb caster sugar
- 4 large carrots, grated to give 350g/12oz
- 100g/4oz walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
- 225ml/8fl.oz vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
Cream cheese frosting:
- 40g/1½oz butter or margarine
- 30ml/2tbsp milk
- 175g/6oz cream cheese
- 350g/12oz icing sugar, sifted
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl. Stir in the sugar, carrot and walnuts.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in the oil and eggs. Mix gradually until smooth and blended.
- Lightly grease 2 20cm/8in square or 25 x 15cm/10 x 6in dishes. Divide the mixture evenly between the dishes. Shield the corners of one dish with small pieces of foil and microwave at 30%/low for 20 minutes, turning several times. Remove the foil and microwave at 100%/high for a further 2 minutes. Leave to stand for 5 minutes then stand the dish on a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining cake.
- To make the frosting, combine the butter, milk and cream cheese in a bowl. Microwave at 50%/medium for about 45 seconds until warm. Mix well, then beat in enough of the icing sugar to give a thick but spreadable consistency.
- Turn the cake out of the dish and sandwich together with some of the frosting. Spread the remaining frosting on top. Chill for about 30 minutes before serving.