- 1 med onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 25g/1oz bacon fat or 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 med tomatoes, chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 100g/4oz brown rice
- 425ml/¾pt water
- 225/8oz tin red kidney beans, drained
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut (optional)
- Chop the onion and squeeze the garlic over it. Heat the fat or oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic, gently until soft.
- Stir in the pepper and tomato and season well. Add the rice and water.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the beans and cook for another 15 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and has absorbed nearly all the liquid.
- Stir in the coconut, if using and serve hot.