- 300ml/½pt milk
- 1 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 350g/12oz courgettes, sliced
- 40g/1½oz butter
- 25g/1oz wholewheat flour
- 3-4 eggs, separated
- 50-75g/2-3oz Cheddar, grated
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the milk with the onion and bay leaf to just below boiling point. Remove from the heat and leave for 20 minutes.
- Lightly steam the courgettes for 4-5 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6.
- Heat the butter, stir in the flour and cook, stirring over low heat for 2 minutes. Strain the milk into the pan and bring to boiling point, stirring continuously. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and beat in the egg yolks, one at a time. Mix the courgettes into the sauce, add the cheese and season lightly.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Stir 1 tbsp into the sauce, gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 1-1½lt/2-2½pt soufflé dish and bake for 25 minutes. The centre should be firm if it is still soft give it another 5 minutes. Serve immediateFor a variation try avocado soufflé use 1-2 avocados, diced, sprinkled with lime juice and mixed with 6 green olives, stoned and chopped, and 450g/1lb tomatoes, skinned and chopped.