- 250g/9oz plain flour
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 75g/3oz chilled butter, grated
- 100g/4oz caster sugar
- 150ml/¼pt milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100ml/4 fl.oz clear honey
- 25g/1oz Demerara sugar
- 24 pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6.
- Lightly grease a 12 hole muffin tray and base line with greased greaseproof paper (or use muffin cases)
- Sift the flour with the baking powder into a large bowl. Add the butter, caster sugar, milk, egg and 3tbsp of the honey. Using a wooden spoon, beat the ingredients together until smooth.
- Divide the mixture among the muffin holes, filling each about halfway. Sprinkle with the Demerara and top each with 2 pecan halves.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until well risen and golden brown. ( A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean) Leave in the tray for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. ( Not if using cases)
- Warm the remaining honey in a small pan until quite runny. Serve the muffins warm with the honey drizzled over the top.