Suitable for Vegetarians
Make up to the end of step one a day in advance, then assemble before serving
- Preparation: 25 minutes
- Cooking: 5-10 minutes
- Serves: 8
- 100g caster sugar
- 350ml dessert wine
- 8 star anise
- 1kg red plums, halved stoned and cut into wedges
- 55g whole blanched almonds
- 200g macaroon or amoretti biscuits
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 600ml double cream
1. Put the sugar and wine in a heavy based pan with the star anise and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Add the plums, cover and simmer very gently until the plums are just tender but retaining their shape. Remove from the heat and drain the plums, reserving the syrup and star anise. Leave to cool.
2. Lightly toast and roughly chop the almonds. Reserve eight pieces of plum and all the star anise. Arrange the remaining plums in eight individual glasses or a 2.5 litre glass serving dish. Scatter the biscuits and almonds over, then pour over 100ml of the syrup.
Make the remaining syrup up to 300ml if necessary with wine and stir in the lemon juice. Whip the cream until just beginning to hold it’s shape, then gradually whisk in the syrup until the mixture forms soft peaks. Spoon the cream mixture over the biscuits and chill for 4 hours or overnight. Arrange