When the cold weather draws in,gather together a good selection of vegetables and make this comforting casserole with some hearty old fashioned dumplings.
- 1-small Fennel bulb.
- 1-small Swede
- 50g/2oz tbsp Butter/Margarine.
- 2-tsp Plain Flour.
- 425g/15oz Can Butter Beans.
- 2-tbsp Tomato Puree.
- 1-Cinnamon stick.
- 2-tsp Ground Coriander.
- 1/2tsp Ground Ginger
- 2-Bay leaves.
- Salt and Black Pepper .
- 200g/7oz Plain Flour.
- 115g/4oz Vegetable Suet.
- 1-tsp Dried Thyme.
- 1-tsp Salt.
- 120ml/4floz Milk.
- Cut all the vegetables into even,bite size chunks,then fry gently in the butter for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour then the liquor (from the can of butter beans),the stock,tomato puree,spices,bay leaves and seasoning.Bring to the boil,stirring.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes then add the beans and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the dumplings,simply mix the flour,suet,thyme and salt to a firm but moist dough with the milk and knead with your hands until it is smooth.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces,rolling each one ball with your fingers.Uncover the simmering stew and then add the dumplings,allowing space between each one for expansion.
- Replace the lid and cook on a gentle simmer for a further 15 mins.Do notpeek-or you will let out the steam.-Do not over cook the dumplings or they will break up.Remove Cinnamon stick and Bay Leaves before serving – STEAMING HOT.