Ingredients to make 8
- 2 x 225g blocks frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 medium potato, coarsely grated
- 3tbsp sunflower oil
- 225g mushrooms, sliced
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1tbsp dry sherry (optional)
- Good pinch dried thyme
- Salt and ground black
- Roll out the pastry until each block is 6mm/¼in thick and cut each block into 4 15cm/6in squares. Reserve a little pastry for decoration. Cover the pastry and set aside in a cool place, to rest.
- Make the filling by gently frying the onion, carrot and potato in oil for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, soy sauce, ketchup, sherry (if using), thyme and seasoning.
- Cook, stirring
occasionally,until the mushrooms and vegetables have softened and feel quite tender. Allow to cool.
- Divide the cooled filling between the 8 squares, placing it to one side across the diagonal. Brush the edges of the pastry with egg and then fold over into triangles and press edges together to seal. Using the pastry scraps, cut out little shapes, such as mushrooms, to decorate the pasties. Stick these on by brushing with egg or water.
- Crimp each pasty edge and place on 2 baking sheets and set aside to allow them to rest.
- Meanwhile set the oven to heat to 200°C/400°F/Gas6. Brush the pasty tops with milk or beaten egg. And then bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.